Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Raavanan

I didn’t have any anticipation to watch Raavanan movie till I watched its trailer at Satyam cinemas, Chennai, a month before. But unfortunately I left Bangalore city just a day before the movie was released in the theatres, to a place where no movie theatres/halls are found. Immediately after my return to city on 5th July, I just enquired the review of the movie with two of my friends who said the followings:

· Movie is not good.

· Tamil version is better than Hindi version.

· There is no story.

· Manirathnam failed to reach his standards.

· Etc.

Whatever the review may be, I decided to watch the movie because it is Manirathnam's film. The next day (i.e., on Tuesday) I just asked one of my friends to go for night show and in fact my first night show in Bangalore city. He immediately agreed and we headed towards Inox, Magrath road. Since it is a working day, getting tickets is not a big deal. As soon as the movie screening started after few advertisements, sms and calls distracted me and somehow I completed the call as soon as possible.

I don’t know what made my friends to pass negative review of this movie. But to me, it is really worth watching it in multiplex. Raavanan is loosely based on Hindu-epic Ramayana and not exactly the replica of the Ramayana as how he directed Thalapathi which is loosely based on Hindu-epic Mahabharata some 20 years before. More or less it is a mice-cat chase story. But I too agree that Manirathnam didn’t meet his standards. I felt that Aishwariya rai didn’t stick to the role much – not sure what went wrong – may be her dubbing or she became too old I guess, and few mannerisms of Vikram were intolerable. All fall-off from mountain scenes are not captured well. Other than the above, the movie is good. The locations are awesome, particularly when Rai prays to a god of which the statue is huge & broken and placed amidst of valley, and the climax fight over the bridge. Veteran actors Karthick and Prabhu perfectly fit for their roles. Prithivraj stands for his macho as a police officer but hope Vikram fits better than him in hindi. The two immediate songs which comes after the intermission - really rocks and the background score too. I wanted to see once again and I will, may be in Hindi!!!!!

Tag line: Good Movie but perfection is lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Masters of Sex

I have heard many crazy stories about scientific research and discoveries from fellow researchers during my PhD days in IISc and I am so ...