Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Madharasapattinam

After deciding to watch the movie "Madharasapattinam" alone at PVR cinemas on Thursday (5.08.2010) evening since all my friends already watched the movie, luckily one of my friend who came to Bangalore from Jamshedpur to attend some conference accompanied me though he already watched it and he claimed that this is the costliest movie that he had ever seen because one ticket costs Rs.170.

The movie is basically a love story between an English girl and a Tamilian, loosely based on the background of Indian Independence era. Guess the director was greatly inspired by Titanic and Lagaan to make this movie; but well made to suit the Tamil audiences. The highlight of the movie is that the director gives the audience a glimpse of Chennai pattinam how it looked like during the Independence era. Until I watched this movie, I didn’t know that Chennai had trams and the famous gigantic Spencer mall was actually constructed after destroying the British building. After watching this movie, now my perspective of looking at Chennai city is different. At the end of the movie, I felt we missed one Italian city in India which I meant the Buckingham canal (Chennai’s Thames river) famously called as Koovam, used for transportation in those days. Music, Background score and artists performances are really good in the movie. Worth watching it in theatre. The English girl who acts as a grand-child to the protagonist’s lady love looks like a Shruthi Hassan to me. After “Aayirathil Oruvan”, Madharasapattinam is one Tamil movie which speaks about historic events, if I am not wrong.

TAGLINE: Think out of box; Love the girl out of your country :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Masters of Sex

I have heard many crazy stories about scientific research and discoveries from fellow researchers during my PhD days in IISc and I am so ...